While many abdominoplasty surgeries are for cosmetic reasons, there are an equal number that are needed for medical reasons. If your abdominoplasty is a medical necessity, it may be covered by your insurance.
Cosmetic surgery is performed to reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve the patient's appearance and self esteem.
Reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors, or disease. It is generally performed to improve function by may also be done to approximate a normal appearance.
Some symptoms that may indicate a reconstructive abdominoplasty include, but are not limited to:
- Panniculitis (an inflammation of subcutaneous fat)
- Intertrigo (an inflammatory condition involving skin folds, caused and aggravated by heat, moisture, friction, and lack of air circulation)
- Low back pain caused by a large pannus (apron of skin from the lower abdomen)
- Abdominal hernia following other abdominal surgery
- Permanent overstreching of the anterior abdominal wall following multiple pregnancies
- Permanent overstreching of the anterior abdominal wall following massive weight loss
- Surgery or trauma to anterior wall of the abdomen that resulted in loss of muscle integrity or pain from scarring
If you have any of the above symptoms you may be able to have your abdominoplasty covered by your insurance.